Tanzania!!

Well we made it!!! We are currently in Dar es Salaam. We got in at 7 this morning, which I think was 11 at night for you guys. Things surprisngly went very smoothly. We walked outside and I was greeted by a buy with my name on his sign. We shook hands and then he turned and started walking, so Lindsay and I followed behind. Then he quickly turned around and handed me a phone, on the other end was Yotam, the coordinator of my program in Tanzania. So I talked with him and he told me that he was in Arusha and would meet me there. He offered us a quick tour of Dar with a friend of his but we decided to stay at the airport instead. So we now have until 2 until our flight leaves so we have spent the morning doing a lot of people watching. It's awesome here, the people are very friendly and everything is so laid back. I haven't figured out yet whether or not 5000 Tanzanian shillings is a lot or a little, so I kind of just guess and barter with people for water and stuff. It makes it more fun that way. I think I even bartered the price of my airline ticket, I'm not quite sure. Oh, and I saw a guy with pants that looked exactly like Vaughn's, it made me laugh. A few minutes ago we were sitting on a bench and a lady sat beside us and opened up a bunch of bags. Within seconds a crowd swarmed her and they were getting there lunch, it was really neat to see. So they had a bunch of fruit and breads, and I think fish and chicken, it was pretty impresive. I then went and brushed my teeth, which felt good since I haven't done that since Wednesday morning. So things are going surprisingly well. Once we fly into Kilimanjaro, Lindsay will be leaving with her group and then I'll be on my own, let the fun begin! I'm not sure the next time I'll be able to update but I wanted to let everyone know that we got in safely and that things are going well. Talk to everyone soon!
Category:

5 comments:

LInda said...

clean teeth are important! i want to know what you are eating??? are you still living on the crackers in your bag? are you learning the language? kumbaya or jambaya... love you MOM

LInda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LInda said...

FYI before you go broke... $2 US equals 2636 shillings and $150 US equals 197,000 shillings. so let me know if you got a deal on the airfare or if you paid for the whole plane to fly!!!!!! love you lots, mom

Unknown said...

Glad you brushed your teeth :o) I very much appreciate that. Just wanted to let you know that I am so ridiculously proud of you. I, as well as the whole family, am praying for you.

- Kathleen

Spud Marshall said...

well mom, if you must know. i haven't touched my crackers yet and I have been living quite fine off tanzanian food. as far as the language part, i am slowly picking it up, but it will take awhile.

Like? Repost it...