5-22 Thoughts

Me again, its day 2 at the orphanage and today was our first full day with the kids. There are 4 mama’s that stay here all day with the kids and are working nonstop, I have no idea how they do it. The kids got up and went to school this morning, luckily we were told to sleep in until 8 and that we didn’t need to help in the morning, we would probably be more of a nuisance than a help. At one point today Hoss tried to help the ladies cook pasta and after about 5 minutes he was back outside. The hard part is that no one here speaks English. One lady knows about as much English as we know Swahili, the rest just know how to smile back at us. So it’s pretty funny to watch us trying to help them out around the orphanage. We got assigned laundry duty this morning, it took us just over an hour and boy was it interesting. Hoss got the lucky job of doing the initial washing with the soap and then Grim and I were put on rinsing and hanging the clothes up. And let’s just say that because there are a lot of babies around here, there are quite a few pairs of soiled underwear. So Hoss had the lucky job of rubbing it all off with nothing but his hands. One other lady helped us out and we tried talking to her but she had no idea what we were saying, all she did was laugh at me every time I spilled water on myself. By the end I was drenched head to toe and all the mama’s came outside and got a good laugh at me. So after that we went inside and tried to entertain the kids. Hoss and I had the easy kids but Grim had one girl who didn’t find anything he did to be amusing. Hoss taught his kid how to give a high-five and my girl let me play the drums on her belly, right up my ally! After that we went and had lunch and the pasta that Hoss failed at cooking, and now we’re back here resting up for tonight. Basically our job around here is to play with the kids, not too bad. So when the kids get back from school we run around and chase them in the yard for awhile and give the mama’s a break. Which I guess during their break they cook dinner, they are always doing something. But I have a feeling that it will be a very tiring 3 weeks but one we won’t forget. I’ll keep posting more stories as they come!!
Category: ,

No comments:

Like? Repost it...