A Fighting Hope

There's been a bunch of thoughts on my mind recently. Between the constant news and personal decisions, it seems like I've been swimming pretty fast recently. But every now and then you slow down and get a chance to digest what's around you and where you're going.

A combination of things (from the sad situation in Haiti to a book called The Irresistible Revolution to watching the Passion) have created a whole collections of thoughts, and my hope is to better understand them and future thoughts over the next few months (both through this blog and personally). So, it may be a motley mixture of posts that turn up (which may not seem like they have any direction at all), but each little bit is helpful.

I can't answer why tragedies happen.
And I can't change the past like I hope to change the future.
But I do know this.

That there is hope that is fighting for us more than anything I've ever encountered.
It is constantly poking it's head into my life
Yet I am still at fault for frequently forgetting,

For at times I wish I could simply settle problems on my own,
According to my own time,
And my own ways.
For I am unable to consistently comprehend the patient way
The different way.

A way that works through the meek and the humble
The poor and powerless.
One which is dependent on neither money nor resources
Time nor strength.

And every now and then,
When that hope peaks into my life and I happen to take notice,
I stop and remember -

Remember the story of how that hope fought and died and won.
How that hope has changed me from the inside out,
A hope which continues to lead to tomorrow,
Regardless of how history has portrayed it or men have defended it.

Sometimes it's hard to look at today and envision tomorrow,
A today where the hope seems to be hidden in the rubble,
Buried directly beneath us,
Yet we can't do anything about it.

But that can't stop us, that can't stop me.
Because I believe that way and that hope are worth fighting for.
As much as they fought for us.

No comments:

Like? Repost it...